The Green Christian Way of Life – Finding our Path and Walking Gently Together
Are you a Green Christian: Motivated by Christian faith to care for creation?
Perhaps you aspire to be a Green Christian but don’t know how or don’t feel you have the support? Perhaps you try your best but worry that you are not having a big enough impact? Perhaps you are a Green Christian in some areas but would like to expand this to other areas.
The Way of Life outlines a set of four disciplines to help anyone aspiring to be a Green Christian
- Daily prayer and devotions
- Living gently on the earth
- Public witness
- Accountability / support / encouragement
Daily prayer and devotions
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God” Philippians 4.6 (NIV)
Include the earth in your prayer times. Here are some ideas to help this
- Use the Green Christian Prayer Guide for daily meditations. This is written to consider environmental events and research findings on the environment usually with a relevance for that day.
- Use the news – whenever you see a story about pollution, wildlife, energy use… take a moment for prayer.
- Walk and pray – get out into nature and let your surroundings inspire your conversation with God. Find out more about local biodiversity in your area, are there protected habitats? What plants and animals live there? What are the local air quality levels or water pollution levels?
Living gently on the earth
“The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, and the world, and all who live in it” Psalm 24:1
In choosing to live gently we can limit our own wastefulness and perhaps even inspire others. Here are some ways:
- Embrace the 9 ways to Live Gently on the Earth Challenge
- Join or start an Eco Cell group and complete the modules on carbon footprints. You could also consider registering your church as an Eco Church.
- Consider your diet, perhaps the LOAF principles can help you source food ethically. You could also consider portion size and how you use left overs.
“Let us not become weary in doing good, for in the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up” Galatians 6:9
How can we share our commitment as Green Christians with others? You could try:
- Campaigning: Sign a petition or write to your MP.
- Write an article for your church magazine or speak at a conference or radio interview
- Attend rallies, protests, walks or fundraisers; maybe even help to run them!
Accountability / support / encouragement
“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” Ecclesiastes 4 12 (NIV)
Work with others to offer each other support, give inspiration and challenge each other.
- Join or form a local group on environmental themes. This could be one of the Green Christian local groups or may be another group such as Transition or a local wildlife group. Try to meet together regularly
- Online support. Join CELink, our email discussion group or join our Facebook Group. There may be other online forums with an environmental focus which appeal to you. Whichever group you join try to play an active part in the discussions.
- Soul friends
These four disciplines are the Way of Life to be a Green Christian. How many are you doing now? Set yourself a goal – how many will you be doing in 1 months’ time? Are there any areas where you could do more?
If you are on a Green Christian journey perhaps you would like to become a member of Green Christian to find out more about our conferences, events and resources which can help you and to join our supportive community.
If you would like to talk to someone about your Way of Life journey please contact George Dow at email@example.com
OLD WEBSITE CONTENT BELOW
Many spiritual communities have Rules or Ways of Life involving a set of disciplines to assist believers in living out their faith in a deeper and more structured way.
The Green Christian Way of Life is offered to believers where care for God’s creation in all its forms is a fundamental outworking of their faith. The Way of Life is a calling for deeper engagement and shared encouragement.
Followers of the Way are called ‘Companions’.
The 4 disciplines and examples of appropriate existing Green Christian resources which can be used are:
|Disciplines of the Way||Examples|
|Daily Prayer and devotions||Using the Green Christian monthly prayer diary with its daily pointers for prayer.|
|Living Gently on the Earth||Adopting the ideas in the leaflet ‘Nine Ways to live gently on the Earth’ as an integral element. Sharing and accounting for the use of our resources, eg using the ecocell modules to help cut carbon emissions, following the LOAF principles for meals, and engaging in the Joy in Enough challenge to current economic thinking.|
|Public Witness||Committing to specific current and planned action for creation care, eg through active involvement in local regional or national projects/campaigns.|
|Encouragement||Supporting fellow Companions, eg by adopting a Soul Friend, meeting in regional groups or through Green Christian’s internal email discussion group CELink.|
You can read more about the background as to why Green Christian decided to introduce this initiative in our Green Christian Magazine, Issue 78 (please scroll to page 14) See photographs of our exploratory Way of Life Gathering in May 2015
Our first Way of Life workshop was held in London on Saturday 30 January 2016. (See report of the day). We have also formed a small Working Group of Companions who contribute to the development and administration of the Green Christian Way of Life.
If you would like to register as a ‘Companion’ or simply find out more please contact George Dow at firstname.lastname@example.org